Britney Spears made her first small victory in her bid to end her conservatorship. This Wednesday, the judge allowed her to appoint her own lawyer. This would help her end the guardianship that Britney herself stated as “cruelty”. Her former manager Sam Lutfi also said her family and those behind the pop star’s conservatorship had ruined their lives for the past 13 years. Britney’s parents accused Lutfi of her 2008 public mental health crisis. This was the reason for the arrangement of conservatorship.
- US pop star Britney Spears has called for an end to the “abusive” management of her business and personal affairs, told an LA court: “I want my life back”.
- Earlier in 2008 due to her public mental health crisis, the singer’s career had been in the hands of legal guardians in an arrangement known as a conservatorship. The court gave her father, Jamie Spears, control over her property and other aspects of her life too.
- A fansite called FreeBritney.net first questioned the necessity of conservatorship in the year 2009. it continued questioning the courtship until it became a worldwide movement in 2019.
- Meanwhile in September 2020, Britney filed to remove Jamie from conservatorship.
- Also in November 2020, Britney lost the bid to remove Jamie from the conservatorship.
- Also in December 2020,Britney’s conservatorship was extended to September 2021.
- February 2021: Framing Britney Spears premiered. The documentary focused on how sexist the media was and Britney got support from various celebs.
- June 23, 2021: Britney gave her very first statement against the conservatorship.
Britney Spears’ Statement
She said that she just wants her life back. It’s been 13 years and she’s had enough. She was told that she isn’t supposed to get married or have a baby. Meanwhile, she has an IUD inside of her right now so that she doesn’t get pregnant. She wants to get it out so that she could start trying to have another baby. But she wasn’t allowed to go to the doctors to get it out. The team which manages her doesn’t want her to have children.
She also added that she truly believes this conservatorship is abusive. Basically, this conservatorship is doing her way more harm than good. She deserves to have a life. She has worked her whole life and deserves to have the same rights as anybody.